State Senator, 35th District
Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins was a highlighted Awesome legislator on choice from January 21st-February 2nd, 2014.
- Position on protecting the right to choose in state law:
- Supports codifying the protections of Roe v. Wade in New York State law in 2014
- Voting record:
- Pro-choice: Increased penalties for violence against reproductive health care providers (2009)
- Additional information:
- Primary sponsor of the Reproductive Health Act (2011)
- Member of the Bipartisan Pro-Choice Legislative Caucus
- Relevant quotes:
- “I commend the Governor for his Women’s Equality Act legislation. It is unfortunate that the Senate was unable to pass the entire 10-point act. … I look forward to fighting for and passing the Women’s Equality Act and other crucial protections for women’s rights next session.” – Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Press Release from the Office of Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, 8/26/2013.
- Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins interview, “Westchester on the Level,” WHYT, 7/31/2013.
- No one would believe that in 2013 there were not enough Senators willing to vote to protect the health and equality of women. In 1970, when choice was first passed in New York, 12 Republican Senators joined a majority of their Democratic colleagues to support this landmark legislation. In our state, women’s health has never been a Republican or Democratic issue. I find it shocking that 43 years later not one Senate Republican stood up for women’s equality.” – Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Press Release from the Office of Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, 6/29/2013.
- As a national progressive leader, New York State has made great strides in protecting women’s hard-won rights, but more must be done. We must pass the Women’s Equality Agenda including enacting the fair pay act, protecting victims of domestic violence from discrimination, and finally give women complete control over their own health care decisions. The time has come to deliver the common-sense, progressive government that New Yorkers have consistently demanded, and the Senate Democratic Conference is ready to lead the way.” – Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Press Release from the Office of Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, 4/23/2013.